Listen to or download AEJOTZ albums, free, at aejotz.bandcamp.com

Thursday, August 11, 2016

how to make AEJOTZ synth music

This isn't really a how-to article. But I was just reading a how-to about electronic music and it explained how to do everything the way I don't.

I make synth music the old fashioned way... by hand!

I actually play keyboard synthesizers by putting my fingers on the keys and pushing down. And I record what I play on a multi-track recorder. Granted, it's a digital recorder, but it's a dedicated music recorder.

I don't use a computer to sequence music. I do use the on-board sequencing functions of my instruments. I'm not a Luddite. Still, every sound is the result of me playing keys by hand. And a little quantizing is no greater sin than a little auto-tune.

The computer is tangentially useful before and after music creation. It's useful beforehand as a source of interesting patches and sounds to download and there are computer "editors" that make it easier for me to program new sounds on my synths. After I complete a tune I transfer it from my recorder to my PC for distribution worldwide via the internet.

Perhaps the biggest advantage to playing everything by hand is that I'm not a very good keyboardist and I make a lot of mistakes, some of which sound better than what I meant to do. I then deliberately make the same "good" mistakes and take credit for creating them.

The end.

No, wait. There's one more thing. To play like an AEJOTZ you have to use really cheap toy-like synths. I use the CZ-101, Microkorg, Microbrute, Microsampler and now the Werkstatt-01.

OK, now it's the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment